Friday, April 5, 2013

top knot-ch

As I mentioned in my last post.
I quite enjoy wearing my hair on top of my head like a hipster.
to be honest, I think I've perfected it.
so here is my rendition on how I think the perfect top knot is done.


what you will need: elastic, comb, some normal bobby pins and some long pins.

1. pull your hair on top of your head. just use your fingers so that it looks more casual and less ballerina.
2. grab your comb and lightly rat your ponytail. it gives it extra volume and makes a world of difference.
3. start swirling that bun! I put a normal bobby pin right at the beginning.
4. my secret for the perfect top knot is long bobby pins. buy some of these now. instead of using 10 normal bobby pins, I literally use 3 or 4 of these long ones and the hold so much better.
5. keep swirling your bun around your ponytail and pin your long bobby pins in the back, front and the sides.
6. stick one last normal bobby pin to pin back the end of your ponytail.
7. get your comb and smooth out all the bumps you may have created.
8. voila! you've got a lovely top knot.

perfect for a long day at work or studying at the library.


I know most of you know how to do these but it honestly took me a lot of practice before I finally got the perfect process so I just thought I'd share.
Sock buns seem to be the trend and while those look incredibly adorable on a lot of girls, they just don't work for me.
I have thick and pretty, well actually really, long hair. When I'd do a sock bun, I would look like a clown with a giant bun on my head.
For my hair, a normal bun works better so if you're in the same boat as me, this will work for you.
If you enjoyed this tutorial and you want to see more, please give me feedback.
If you tried this, send me a picture!
love you guys.

2 comments:

Anna Elizabeth said...

I also have really long thick hair and the sock but looks absolutely ridiculous on me. I've always admired girls who can pull off the casual bun look with the top knot, so I do so appreciate this tutorial because I've always wondered what the secret is. Thanks, can't wait to try!

Arnold Gregs said...

Thannks for a great read