Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bonjour, Paris! Part deux

First off, let me tell you something.
Driving into any city gives me crazy anxiety.
Salt Lake City might be the only exception, only because I've driven into it many times but still.
Driving in Europe is scary business at times. Driving in European cities? Forget about it.

So luckily I wasn't driving myself into Paris, I drove in with a family in my church.
As soon as we got into city limits, I realized what I got myself into. This place was a teeny bit shady.
People were coming up to our windows begging. But worst of all, they try to wash your windows.
I know you're like what? How is that shady?

We're stopped at a red light and three or four teenagers come up and try to wash our windows. We're shaking our heads, waving our hands around, clearly signing that "We do not want our windows washed!"
Suddenly I look to my side.. and someone washed it. Oh shoot.
That means you owe them money. We're still saying no. So they all gang up on the window of the driver and start yelling, probably saying something in french like "You betta pay up fool."
Then one of the guys tells the rest of them to back up and he takes his squeegee for washing windows and starts smacking the car's window. That's right, he is trying to break the glass. He got a few smacks in really good (I really thought it was about to shatter) before finally we were able to speed out of there once we had enough room. They still came up running after us but never got anything out of it.

And that my friends, is how my trip into Paris began.

"Welcome to Paris!" The driver of the car said with a sarcastic tone.
I was nervous to say the least.




I must say, Notre Dame is actually quite interesting. I especially like the inside. Then again, I'm a huge fan of cathedrals.



There is a reason the Eiffel Tower is so hyped up. It is actually pretty magnificent. It's such a symbol that so many people know and admire, but to actually see this thing right in front of you. It's a weird feeling. But a good feeling.


Then we ate some crepes by the Seine while we waited for it to get dark.


Why were we waiting for it to get dark?


For this of course.



Topped of the day with a view of Paris lights from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Bonne nuit Paris!

The family was leaving that night to go home and I wanted more time.
So I was dropped off at a hostel where I spent the night by myself, ready for another adventurous day tomorrow. But I won't lie, I was a little scared.

No comments: