Monday, September 15, 2014

Dresden and the dreaded A1 Deustch test

So I know this is so stupid to always say but I will be back updating my blog. A crazy amount of things have happened and for some reason on a 4 hour bus ride today, I had this feeling like I should be back to blogging. So I'm starting all the way back in April because yes, I have not updated since then.. embarrassing. 

In order to be an au pair here in Germany, you're required to take a test on the language. Needless to say, if I didn't pass then I would be kindly asked to leave when my tourist visa expires after three months of entering the country.
Unfortunately (kind of) we waited to long to sign up for a test that was near us so I had to go all the way to

Dresden

If you know where that is, I'm thoroughly impressed. Basically though, I live in about the most west you can be in Germany and Dresden is almost the most east you can go.
So my host family and I made a trip out of it! All six hours drive worth.

I listened to German CDs all the way there about how to order a cup of coffee, how to ask a train person how to get to Hamburg, etc. It was maddening. 
And so, there I was. I was at the Goethe Institute where my fate for the next six months was going to be decided. I sat in a classroom full of so many other people thinking the same thoughts I was probably thinking.
"Shiz what if I don't pass this test? I don't want to go back to my home country yet! So many German things I have yet to experience! I can't leave all the delicious brotchen."
I was sweating through my leather jacket as I tried so hard to listen to the CD that played the hearing portion of my test. "What time did they say that they were going to the movies?? Was it at 4:00? or 14:00? Oh gosh so much dialogue."
I muddled through it, not completely confident but.. confident that I at least passed. And for now, I was done.

I was alone, and not quite ready to back to the hotel. So I did what I love most, walked around a city that I didn't know.


And a beautiful city it was. Full of amazing old architecture (pretty rare for Eastern Germany). I'd go back in a heartbeat and spend more than just an evening.




Dresden will always have a place in my heart.

(Totally passed my test by the way. Solid 80%)

No comments: