Thursday, January 15, 2015

Essentially Basic: Part 2

There were too many essentials that I could think of so I split it into two parts because I get bored when someone posts super long posts. I think I might have short attention span sometimes.




(Long) Blazer
Whether you have an office job or not, you will need a blazer. Because sometimes you need to look professional. I just like the look of long blazers so all of mine are past my waist.

(Cross-Body) Satchel
Because I hate carrying my purse, just like to swing around out of my way so I opt for a cross body bag. But I also like getting ones with a top handle. I shamefully didn't put that on here and now I feel stupid.

Your own signature jewelry
Buy yourself a delicate piece of jewelry and wear it all the time. Invest in something small that's a part of your own history that you can pass on. Mine is an amber ring I found at a market in Poland and a necklace I found in TopShop in London. I plan on keeping these forever.


Black (opaque) tights
These tights and black skinny jeans go hand in hand in my mind. I look forward to fall and winter so I can wear these under my dresses. The blacker and more opaque, the better.


Oatmeal sweater
I know it sounds weird to call this color oatmeal, but what other name would you give this? Light tan? Anyways, this color of sweater is my favorite. You might think to get black, white or a grey sweater but seriously, this color is the best. It looks prime with a denim shirt underneath.


Leather brown belt
One that fits around your waist and around your hips. Belting a dress can make you look a little less stingy and more casual. Plus it keeps your pants up sometimes, amirite?

(D'Orsay) Black flats
Sorry I'm such a black person but deal with it. I love the black ballet flats just as much as the next person but I really am taking a fancy to pointed toe flats, and more specifically, the d'Orsay flat. It elongates my legs and makes my feet like super chic (I don't usually throw that word around but it feels so appropriate due to the name of the flat being oh so French).

(Aerie) Comfortable Bra
I love wearing fancy, adorable push ups bras, don't get me wrong. But there is something to finding that bra that is just "Ahhhh....". I've found it. Believe it or not, it isn't at Victoria's Secret. I know, shocking right. There's a place that actually sells bras that isn't Victoria's Secret? Broaden your horizons a bit here folks. I'm about to change your underlife.
I don't know how, but I stumbled into a Aerie store one day (American Eagle's underwear brand you usually see at the back of the store, but it was it's own store). I started looking around at the bras and I was amazed at how adorable every single one of their bras were. None of them were "Come and get it boys, I'm sexy with my hugely padded bra". They had an entire section of just bras with no padding. I was amazed. I was mostly in love with the little ditzy floral pattern one had on it. I bought two. That was 3 1/2 years ago and I still wear them on the regular. I would be driving somewhere and be suddenly think to myself,
"Oh shiz! I don't feel my bra.. Did I forget to put on a bra!?"
That's how comfortable they are, I'm not exaggerating. That happened more than once. I've gone back many times and I think I may be a lifelong customer.
They also just this past couple of years launched a campaign of no photoshopping their models. And their models are every size, not just the pin skinny 32A. It really is quite impressive.
But they back up their talk! Since my poor three year old bras were starting to get wear, I thought I would treat myself to a brand new bra. A saleslady handed me a bra she thought I might like... The Sunnie.
Go to the store and try it on now. You're welcome.

(Colored or patterned) Wool coat
Because it's cold outside. And this kind of coat will always look great. You could get it in black, or you could get it in your favorite color. Don't worry, somehow.. It always matches your outfit. My signature coat is my buffalo plaid double breasted peacoat.

1 comment:

Maddie Violet said...

I am loving these posts!